Friday, November 11, 2011

Thankful for time to catch up on expressing thankfulness

Is that a long enough title for you??  I anticipate a long post as well as I spend some time catching up on my list of thanks!

thankful #5: a place (this is a twofer)

1. My parent's house.  Well, right now they are between houses... my mom is living with a friend here in Baltimore while my dad is in an apartment in Chicago... they see each other on the weekends and whenever they can... so they don't officially have a house right now, but I digress.  Back to business..... I love that I can lay on the sofa and be super lazy, watching TV or reading a book without feeling like I should be doing something else, like my laundry or dishes.  I love that I can go raid the fridge whenever I want without feeling weird.  I love that my mom always has the staples from my childhood-- orange juice, utz potato chips (which honestly, I don't even love but they taste like my childhood so I eat them just to go back to that time in my mind), Edy's ice cream.  They have super comfy beds and the house is always clean... quite a change from the messy frat house that Josh and I call home.  I just feel so safe and cozy when I am at my parent's house.  I can't wait until they buy a house in Maryland so I can go park it on their sofa and watch movies with Josh, Jack and my dad and then go play bananagrams with my mom.

2. Cambridge.  My best friend's family has a second house in Cambridge Maryland on Brookes Creek... it is one of my favorite places ever.  It is fun and relaxing and quiet and just all around a wonderful place to spend time.  And it doesn't hurt that Eliza is a fantastic cook so I know there will always be tasty food!!  We play mancala, boggle and rummy tournaments.  We go on boat rides and kayak... even though I am not a huge fan of kayaking..  I mean you paddle around for no reason at all... I don't really get it.  We read magazines and books and take naps.  At night, we sit in the arbor and drink wine and laugh.  It is a perfect there. Perfect.


The pictures below were taken hours apart... I guess we are a predictable pair.



thankful #6: a pair of shoes

My brown boots.  Years ago, my sister picked up a pair of boots for $5 at her favorite thift store in Chicago.  They were too big for her so she gave them to me.  They are even a bit too big on me but I just double up my socks to make them fit a little better... and boy, are they are worth it... so soft and versatile and perfect.  Sure, the soles are cracked in half so when it rains my socks get really wet but it is really expensive to get new soles so I will continue to deal with wet feet... no biggie. 


thankful #7: a scent

Winter candles and tarts.  We have two extremely curious cats and one very teensy house so we set up a skinny, little artificial tree at Christmas and hang our ornaments from about waist up... yeah, our Christmas tree is kind of sad looking.  I am thankful for the fact that we were able to find a fake tree to fit into our house, but I miss that 'Christmas tree' scent around the holidays.  Yankee Candle Co to the rescue!  I have a variety of seasonal candles and tarts that I recently broke out... right now 'autumn leaves' is in my tart warmer and I love it.  Soon, I'll break out our Christmas tree and with it I'll also get out my 'christmas wreath' candle which was purchased on clearance at Target last year after the holidays...score!  I love the artificial smell of fall!



thankful #8: a restaurant

Bonefish.  Chocolate creme brulee.  Bang bang shrimp.  Diablo shrimp fettuccine.  Big glasses of delicious sangria for $5.  I can't talk about it anymore because I am hungry and I am about to drool all over my desk.


thankful #9: a blog

How About Orange.  I love this blog.  The author, Jessica, posts a ton of really, really great free printables and has a lot of really cute, crafty tutorials.  I have printed many a Christmas gift label thanks to her blog, as well as thank you cards, calendars and other odds and ends.  I can't say enough how much I love her blog.  Check it out... unless you are a robot who can't appreciate a good craft then you won't regret your visit to her blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment