Sunday, October 23, 2011

Twelve by 2012...



I was doing my daily slacking at work and came across this post on oh, hello friend: you are loved about a project to list twelve goals to accomplish before 2012.  Much like Danni, I am a master procrastinator. Why finish today what I can put off until tommorrow?  Isn't that the saying?  No?  Hmm, well, I am pretty sure it is something like that. 

I was inspired to create my own list.  I find it easy to get carried away with lofty goals (my current house-project-list includes a lot of big projects like fences to be built and windows to be replaced... ha) which only leads to disappointment so I tried to keep this list simple.

Without further ado, here is my list of 12 before 2012:

 DONE! 1. Plant herbs 
Because winter is approaching I suppose they will have to be planted inside, which means up high away from my pesky, plant destroying cats... I hope I can find somewhere with enough light. If anyone knows of a herb that can thrive in low light please let me know!
Well, I got the herbs at the farmer's market- dill, oregeno and parsley.  I remembered to water them a few times but I am sad to report that they are not doing too well.  I guess they make dried herbs for a reason.

DONE!  2. Try cloth wipes
I love cloth diapering but I am tired of picking through the dirty, poopy wet bag to get out the disposible wipes.  I guess my mom already made me some cloth wipes but I didn't realize and I have been using them as washcloths.. oops.
Update: I was nervous about using cloth wipes but they are actually just as easy as disposable.  Plus, they are better for the environment and better for my hands (less risk of poop on my hands now when I'm putting diapers in the washing machine!)

3. Start Etsy shop with my Mom
My mom is a very talented seamstress and just a creative person in general.  Just a few of the baby items she has made me include cute burp rags, wet bags for diapers, fitted sheets for the arms reach cosleeper bassinet and pee pad things for the changing table.  We were shocked at how expensive additional sheets for our bassinet were and how pricey other baby items are so I would love to provide a less expensive option for some products for other moms who are on a budget.

4. Work on Jack's baby book
No explanation needed.  At this rate he will be starting college before it is complete.

5. Wedding and Honeymoon Albums
Josh and I got married on May 16, 2009 and I have yet to make a wedding album.  I also have a really cute Hallmark scrapbook that my aunt gave us that has yet to be filled in... I have all the pictures printed out and ready to go... I'll admit that part of the problem is committing to actually glueing picture in... what if I don't like how it turns out?! The world would end, wouldn't it?  (I'm rolling my eyes and now realizing how silly I am being about it.)

DONE!  6. Eat at Woodberry Kitchen
I have heard it is great.  I can't seem to get there to eat.
Josh and I ate here on my birthday!! 

 DONE! (kinda) 7. Get computer worked on
My "laptop" has quite a few problems... it has to be plugged into an outlet because the battery doesn't work.. hence the quotes around laptop... it is a desktop posing as a laptop... poser.  The sound doesn't work so I can't listen to music or watch silly youtube videos to waste time when I should be doing other, more important stuff.  And it is just all around very, verrrrrry slow.
I got a new one! I haven't set it up yet because soooomeone (a clingy little koala) doesn't want to nap/sleep long enough for me to spend any time playing with it.

8. Improve photography skills
I bought two books to help improve my (nonexistant) skills- one book on my camera and one book on taking better pictures.  I have yet to open either book. 

DONE!  9. Get Jack's changing area organized
In addition to our house being small, it is quite akward.  Jack's room is perfect for a kid because it is the whole third floor and has weird slanty ceilings... it is not so perfect for normal furniture. So we have his changing station in a weird little nook at the top of the second floor staircase... I am still working on figuring out the best way to organize everything... it is a small space and has to house his diapers, clothes, blankets, and some of my overflow stuff.
Update: With my mom's help rearranging, a dresser purchase off Craigslist and some baskets from Ikea I am proud to report that we have a functioning changing station!

 Eh, I'm trying. 10. Blog at least three times a week
I want to make sure that my posts have substance but I definitely want to try to post with more frequency.

In progress and going well! 11. Bake more
I know I should make this more concrete... like "bake once a week" but I honestly don't know if I can even commit to that... so I will just try to "bake more."  I want to bake chocolate cupcakes with cookie dough inside and variations of my cornbread and maybe even try to succeed at peanut butter cookies, which I have yet to do.
So far I have baked lots of variations of cornbread (duh) like cranberry, sausage, jalapeno; I have baked banana bread and muffins; I have also made these- um, YUM! I made the cupcakes for a friend's birthday and they were a hit... make them.. you won't regret it!

12. Learn the purl stitch
I took a knitting class at Joann Fabrics a few years ago and got the knit stitch down but I cannot seem to figure out the purl stitch.  I try and try but the purl stitch seems so backwards and confusing to me.  I always end up getting frustrated and giving up.  With winter approaching, and a little dude to knit teeny tiny fun things for, I want to conquer the purl stitch!



I have kept my list pretty simple and I am optimistic that I will complete everything.  But don't be surprised if you see me sitting Woodberry Kitchen on December 28th, covered in soil and baking flour, working on knitting and reading a photography book.


No comments:

Post a Comment